Sunday, January 25, 2009

Religion vs. Gays

Hey Everyone,

In class we've been talking about symbols and now as we all know symbols can be misinterpreted. Different people might view the same symbol is very different ways. The symbol might be hope to one person and offensive to another. Just take a look at all the different symbols in McDannel's Material Christianity.

Well Just as symbols can be misinterpreted the bible too can be misinterpreted. Everyone is unique in the views of religion. I personally believe that people that translate a document word for word, instead of gathering the general purpose, have the potential to be the most harmful people in society. So....

I just wanted to show you a video I saw that offended me when I came across it. Its a music video that a man by the name of Donnie Davies some cracked out religious nut. So here is the video.....




You can check out his website which is even more ridiculous by clicking here

2 comments:

  1. Turns out it is satire. I did some quick digging and found this:
    http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2007/01/davies-exposed-as-actor-joel-oglesby.html

    Donnie Davies is an actor named Joe Oglesby. An Online Journal editorial I read reached this conclusion:

    "In the final analysis, “Donnie” should be thanked. He’s helped bring attention to the absurdity and intrinsic, malignant evil of those who pervert religion to propagate hate and promote themselves. We can only hope that James Dobson, Don Wildmon, Lou Sheldon, and the rest of the sanctimonious anti-gay leaders of the Christian Right see themselves exposed and caricatured in Donnie and “God Hates Fags.”

    http://onlinejournal.com/artman/publish/article_1705.shtml

    I completely agree with that assessment. "Donnie Davies" is nothing to worry about, but there are plenty of disgusting real people who are just like him:

    http://americansfortruth.com/about

    ReplyDelete
  2. On another note, as we were watching this during class, all I could picture is another movie which I watched last semester in one of my CORE classes.

    This is along the same lines as a very literal translation of the Bible, and is clearly meant as satire. It is a good reference and I think it is very well done, with several famous cameos in the music video.

    I particularly like how they didn't just stop at the anti-gay perspective, but rather had someone defend the fact that we cannot take a word by word translation of the Bible seriously, and they bring out the many other Biblical flaws.

    (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c0cf508ff8/prop-8-the-musical-starring-jack-black-john-c-reilly-and-many-more-from-fod-team-jack-black-craig-robinson-john-c-reilly-and-rashida-jones)

    I don't know how to make the video appear here, but I hope the url I provided is enough incentive to copy and paste, it is pretty funny and makes a great point.

    ReplyDelete