Monday, January 19, 2009

First Post: Religion and its Negativity

The exposure to religion I've received throughout my life is what I've seen in the world, and what my parents have exposed to me at a young age. My father was born Jewish, his family followed adamantly to the religion, however he considers himself an atheist. My mother was adopted as an infant into a semi-strict catholic family. My father practiced his religion when he was younger as requested by his parents, just as my mother practiced catholicism when she was younger, however they both strayed away from their religions as they got older and continued in their family and professional lives, eventually meeting someday. Infrequently my mother would think in a catholic mindset, around the religious holidays or during a time of loss. While my father still stands on a void of religious faith.
As I've grown, I thought I was religious, but I never really was. I found out later I was just going along with what I thought my parents believed in; and that was my mothers religion. I thought I should believe the same because I celebrated Christmas, and was baptized too. I thought I had it all figured out. But then, I'm not sure when, sometime during high school when I developed a brain perhaps, I created my own personal views on religion. Which coincides with my fathers, simply remaining agnostic/atheistic.
This life-long new belief stemmed from all the negativity associated with religious practice around the world, which I detest. The violence, killings, disputes, arguments, wars, swayed beliefs, and any other ways to describe the negatives from the religious realm captivates my distaste of it. It's hard to believe in my mind that so many people apply their lives and beliefs to a circle, that to me doesn't seem worthy. It could be that my mind perceives life and the world in a highly logical and scientific viewpoint, and therefore cannot accept religion as a means of thought. I consider myself to spiritual at times, but not religious as I don't practice any segment of it, nor profess any devotion or commitment to any other exterior realm outside of my own mind and perception. I just think this way because my brain thinks this way, logically, and because I was brought up to think what I want for myself. Also mainly because the negative impacts that religion inflicts on the world as a whole, which to me is not worth nor equate the good it inflicts. Spirituality, friends/family, and one's own mindset, thoughts, and beliefs can suffice for me at least, the position for religion.
I don't hate on any religious supporter, if that's something that works for you, and is something thats beneficial in your life, then by all means do what you need to do. It just doesn't prove to be anything positive or necessary in my life, as I also see it as creating more harm than good in the world anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment