Thursday, January 29, 2009

Faith, Religion, and Winnie the Pooh

Hey, this is Dan Merrill again.

In my first post I didn't really mention anything about my own experiences with and views on religion, so I'd thought I'd take a few minutes to do that now with another informal post. 

I was raised Catholic. For most of my life, I was a very earnest and devoted Catholic. I'm also gay, so that created some conflict. I have an awful lot to say about this experience, but that can wait for another time. Long story short, I've learned the value of thinking for myself. 

Right now, I'm not really able to sort out what my religious views are. I don't want to slap an atheist/agnostic/Catholic/believer label on myself because I understand the merits of those different perspectives and the logic behind them, and I vacillate between them.

There are some things I'm not very fond of when it comes to the debates between the secular and the sacred. I hate when people lean too heavily on the Bible or any other religious text. I do not think the Bible is the word of God so much as it is a library of different books written for different reasons that has been horribly abused over the years by people who close their eyes and follow it blindly. Whoever it was that wrote "On the first day God made this, on the second day God made that," probably was more influenced by the need for poetic coherency than by some divine insight into the origins of the universe.

I also don't really like when atheists state that they'll believe anything, no matter how ridiculous, so long as they're presented with proof, and that they won't believe in God until he proves his existence. I don't think this is illogical, but I think it shows some ignorance of humankind's relationship with God and the nature of faith. If there is a God, I think it might be better for him not to provide us with proof of his existence. What would life be like if we knew with absolute certainty that God exists? 

Wouldn't we be a lot weaker? 

I think it's cool that Nick mentioned the Tao of Pooh, because I'm also going to use Pooh to explain a bit about religion. One of my favorite Disney movies as a kid was Pooh's Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin. When I watched it again more recently, I noticed that the movie seemed to have religious overtones. One of the central themes of the story is faith, and the movie does a really neat job of showing its value. 

The movie begins by showing Pooh's complete love for and dependency on Christopher Robin. If you watch this song, "Forever and Ever," notice how it seems to reflect the relationship between a devout Christian and Christ. 

"I want to be with you, forever. I want you right here, beside me, forever."
 - Pooh



Christopher Robin asks Pooh what would happen if they were separated, and Pooh says he wouldn't be able to go on. Christopher Robin tells Pooh that he's braver than he believes, stronger than he seems, and smarter than he thinks. He says even when they're apart, they'll always be together, and the next day he disappears.

Pooh and his friends ask Owl to read the note Christopher left behind, but Owl misinterprets it, saying Christopher went to Skull instead of school. I think Owl's song, "Adventure is a Wonderful Thing," might be similar to what God would have to say if we could ask him why he left us alone in this life. 

"Perhaps you could join us?" 
"No, no, you go ahead."
 - Pooh and Owl



Rabbit believes with absolute certainty that the map Owl gave them is infallible and will guide them straight to Christopher Robin. This song, "If It Says So," is the movie's most obvious bit of allegory. I think it's a brilliant satire of people blindly following the Bible.

"Never trust that thing between your ears. Brains will get you nowhere fast, my dears. Haven't had a need for mine in years. On the page is where the truth appears."
 - Rabbit



The group ends up lost, and Pooh's faith wavers.

"I need you to come here and find me, cause without you I'm totally lost. I've hung a wish on every star. It hasn't done much good so far."
 - Pooh



Later, Pooh falls into a pit at the bottom of a cave and is trapped there alone. He talks to Christopher Robin, telling him how his friends were so brave, strong, and smart on their search for him. Then he remembers Christopher saying that they'd still be together, even if they were apart, and Pooh realizes that Christopher would always be a part of him.

The movie ends with Christopher Robin returning from school and finding the group. He talks about what it was like being separated from his friends and then tells Pooh that he'll have to leave again the next day.

There may or may not be a God, but if there is one, I think it might be wise for him to let us live apart from him (though my thoughts on the concept of eternal damnation are another issue). I don't think it's foolish for people to believe in him without proof.

My younger sister is handicapped with Rett Syndrome. She cannot walk or talk, and she has seizures regularly. We love her very much, but it takes a lot for my family to take care of her. It puts a lot of strain on my parents, and their faith is one of the reasons they're able to cope. Their religion is a tremendous source of strength.

When Pooh is separated from Christopher Robin, he learns that he is braver than he believes, stronger than he seems, and smarter than he thinks. He wouldn't have learned that if he didn't have to spend some time alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment