Thursday, April 2, 2009

Religion and Politics, Good Friends.

First, I have to apologize-I' am going to steal Corey's quote...Sorry but I swear I was going to use it and dont worry because I took another angle with it.
While I was reading in Lilla, I came across a quote that stopped me. It just somehow seemed to go along so well with all the heat over the G-20 summit and the protesting going on. “However fraught with discord and even violence is the relation between a nation’s religion and political authority at any particular time, a deeper, more complex reconciliation between them is being worked out in the process.” (Lilla 184) The anarchists in London, with a difference in religion between basically all nations represented keep in mind, were protesting capitalism; and essentially it turned violent. I think that the message of this quote is that although there are differences within religion, political or nationalistic views, while disputing we somehow come closer together and closer to unification...
Either way,I hope that something deeper is being formed here by this meeting and protesting, not just the question of: "What can we do to be rich again?" Yet, doesn't it seems like such an odd concept that these 20 "world leaders" come together and suposidly are going to be able to determine what is going to make things "okay." Doesn't the fact that our whole world economy is failing ring some bells? Maybe this capitalism thing isnt such a good idea after-all? Thats not going so far as to say that anarchism is the way to go, but seriously- lets learn something here suposid world leaders... Having a meeting with 20 people trying to talk about world economy when there are 195 countries in the world is absurd, ludacris and really a slap in so many developing countries faces.
I feel as though it is time we stopped worrying so much about how we are going to get ourselves out of this economic rut when we have more pressing issue's to focus on. Global warming? World hunger? Granted one thing I keep hearing now is more money to the IMF so that developing countries can receive more loans, but is that really solving the problem? The problem with a lot of developing countries is that they are already in a mountain of debt from IMF loans; I think it is time something more drastic was done, not 20 people of the richest countries in the world trying not to have their country become like a developing one. Take Haiti for example, can you imagine living on $1,400 for a whole year? A little more than 100 a month? I mean, I will be the first to admit I spend some days over a hundred dollars, and I know I'm not alone...
All in all, Lilla and this quote better be right. A "more complex reconciliation" better be on the way for all of us, anarchists, Americans, Christians, Haitians. Or else everyone is really in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment