Monday, March 30, 2009

Traveling to Europe

During class time, we often focus on our perspective of religions as we know them here in America, but I'm sure that other from around the world will view these issues in a very different light. Fall of this year, I will be studying abroad on the Champlain Campus in Dublin, Ireland, immersed in a culture I truly know nothing about - even if I think I do. I've been spending a lot of time lately thinking about where else I want to travel during my four months in Europe and I know that England, Germany, and Italy are solidified on my list, with Spain and Scotland as close seconds.

I could easily give an explanation for what draws me towards England, Germany, Spain and even Scotland, but what perplexes me is my intense need to visit Italy. What about Vatican City draws me to it despite my distinct lack of belief in the Christian/Catholic religion? Why do I believe that visiting these places will enlightenment me - make me feel something beyond this world - a sort of mystical transcendence?

In a web magazine for New York teens, Nicole Farrow, a non-religious teen who visited Vatican City, quoted her experience

"It was overwhelming to experience the love and faith of all the followers in the church, and in a way I felt as though I belonged. The artwork and the beauty of the church made me feel guilty for not believing as devoutly as the pious followers believe. I felt serenity as I walked passed the ancient and historic artwork. I was able to just sit back and absorb the experience and reflect on where I am now and where I am going to be. As I looked around, I saw that people have found peace through religion, and I wondered whether I would be able to find that type of peace if I were religious."

Nicole was drastically changed by her experience in Vatican City, but I still want to know why.

In Material Christianity, McDannell briefly touches upon the studies done on how architecture effects religion.

"Increasingly, studies of architecture and art are being conducted by scholars outside of the art disciplines. These scholars wonder what social messages we receive as we walk through an art or a natural history museum?"

I don't know what this experience will bring to me. What affect do you believe Holy places would have on you? Do you think it would be a life changing experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment