Monday, February 9, 2009

Organ's Are Not The Problem

This past weekend, I arrived at UVM's Catholic Center at 5:30 to practice the various musical pieces and hymns in the mass. As we sang the opening song, I felt a rush of emotion that I can only describe as a spiritual connection. The music that was only text on a page a few moments ago was suddenly full of a new meaning to me. The harmonious sound of the choir imbued a feeling of joy to be in God's presence. I could not help but smile as I sang! (The congregation also seemed to appreciate the sound as well as I saw quite a few people swaying back and forth and bouncing.)

In Alan Wolfe's book The Transformation of American Religion, Wolfe says that many members of churches prefer to hear more modern music and "turn away and leave the moment they hear an organ". (29)
RUN! IT'S AN ORGAN!
I must respectfully disagree.

I believe that bad music drives people out of church, not old or unfamiliar music. Due to dwindling numbers of churchgoers, musicians for each and every church have been hard to find. Most churches are so desperate to find a musician, they let almost anyone who can play a piano or barely carry a tune do it. Nobody wants to sing in mass when the pianist can't keep the rhythm consistent. (True story but that's for another time.)

One thing I do not disagree with Wolfe in is the idea that music is a key factor in keeping attendance! In my experience, the churches that I have attended in the past (about 15-20 different ones) that have, in my opinion, better music than others, get higher attendance and more participation from mass goers. The Cathedral in my home town pays a different professional musician to come each week. These paid musicians give outstanding performances and each week there is a new one to see. Compared to other churches in the area, the number of people who show up for this mass in particular is quite large. There are so many, that I often times cannot find a seat for myself. Another example is a comparison between two churches similar in location and but different in size. St. Mary's church and St. Matthew's are close to each other distance wise, but St. Matthew's is a bit larger and has a larger member base. However more people attend St. Mary's each week. Why? Most people you ask will tell you (I have asked myself) the music is better.

Now, I can go on and on listing examples of why I think GOOD music increases attendance (If you want the full list ask me when you have about an hour or two to spare). But I think an even more important question is why. I think that the power of music lies in its ability to channel ideas and emotions into one output. Music makes it easy to combine the intent of words, with the feeling behind the intent. It makes having a sacred moment easier and more natural. I don't think there is anything natural about reciting a prayer in a zombie like fashion. But when put to music, people put the words together with the feeling of the music. Crescendos tell people of climax and importance, and musical notes help put together the phrasing of sentences in ways that make sense. As one of my choir teachers once told me, singing in church is like praying twice. I think she meant that in one sense you are saying the prayer, and in another sense, the music you are putting behind the prayer is giving it meaning to you.

I know it's a little cheesy, but I'm sure many of you are familiar with the movie Sister Act, with Whoopie Goldberg:




This clip sums up my ideas on how good music can stir people to become more involved and connected in their respective religious experiences.

So my question for this week is: What are your thoughts and experiences with religion, music and spiritual connections?

Feel free to use the comments section and tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment