Monday, February 16, 2009

All men are created equal

Over the course of this class one question has continued to bother me. My question is that if in the U.S. “All men are created equal” why are people who simply give themselves another label or are labeled something outside the norm treated differently and more importantly why do people care so much.
I don’t have a complete answer to this question but I do have a theory. My theory is that people who believe in their religion beyond a shadow of a doubt believe that there religion is the right one and therefore the one that everyone should fallow. This takes its most basic form in religious symbols and objects. According to McDannell “Religious objects also signal who is in the group and who is not. They teach people how to think and act like Christians. They are used to lure, encourage, and shock non-Christians into considering the truth of Christianity”. I for one believe that a person should be able to believe in whatever they want so long as it doesn’t interfere with the rights of anyone else. Hopefully our old friend George Carlin can help me get this point across.
Work cited
McDannell, Colleen. Material Christianity. London: Yale University Press, 1995.
“THIS COUNTRY IS FINISHED GEORGE CARLIN ON COUNTDOWN” YouTube. 23 October 2007. 16
February 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment